Thursday, October 14, 2010

We're Free!

Tayven was released from the hospital tonight!  We are so happy to be free.  They took good care of us at the hospital, but a baby can only handle so much.  We are all exhausted so we're taking it easy and going to stay in American Fork tomorrow to get some rest before making the trek home to Saint George.  I feel surprisingly good at the moment, considering what we've been through and the fact that I've hardly slept in the last 2 nights, but I'm sure it will all catch up to me soon enough when the adrenaline wears off.
Tayven did really well yesterday.  I think I finally started to relax and know that it would all be ok when he started acting more like a 6 month old, laughing and playing as opposed to laying around and sleeping all the time.  It's never fun to watch your baby suffer like that.
He gave me a good scare during the night when he started the vomiting again, but it only happened once and they said that it's normal for someone with a brain injury.  And after that episode he wasn't allowed to eat until after his MRI, so we spent much of the night bouncing around and pacing the halls in the stroller trying to pacify him and/or get him to sleep.  Radiology called us down about 8:00 for the MRI, so I took him down to be sedated and then had to leave him alone for an hour.  At least this time I didn't have to sit out in the waiting room listening to his screaming.  He slept peacefully and I tried to take a little nap.  Once he awoke I was able to feed him but he's been pretty tired ever since.  They told me he'd probably sleep all day, only waking up to feed, but he, being the fighter that he is, likes to fight sleep as long as possible.  So he fusses until I can finally coerce him into a deep sleep, but then he's out like a light.  After the MRI they had to come check out his eyes to see if there was any damage there.  They told us it's more to rule out shaken baby syndrome then anything.  He even slept through all that.  They did see he had some hemorrhaging on his left eye, which is consistent with the bump on the left side of his head (I heard the NP on phone saying that they reported it could or could not be consistent with the accident...but they didn't call CPS so I guess they ruled in our favor)  The MRI looked good, it showed the blood on his brain but showed no damage to the brain itself...so that's a relief!  Once again, we really appreciate the outpouring of love and support from you, and your continued prayers.  We have been so blessed!

Happily Reunited--My mom drove out from Vernal and took Breah to play with some cousins and her uncles while we were at the hospital.  It was such a huge relief to know she was well taken care of and not have to worry about her too!  She was very concerned about Tayven during the whole thing so when they moved us down to the regular floor we let her come up and see him.  We thought it might be a little tramatic for her to see him with the neck brace adn all his IV's and what not, but the only thing she was concerned about was a dinosaur bandaid on his hand (which he later choked on).  This conversation took place just outside the door to our room
              G Nellie: "ok, now we have to wash our hands before we go in"
              Breah:  Why?
              G: We have to wash all the germs off so Tayven doesn't get sick"
              B:  But Tayven's already sick!  He fell off the bed!
              Then G said something to the effect of "isn't that sad?
              B:  Yeah, I sure hate it when that happens!
I think we all hate it when that happens, so much so that we're not going to let it happen again!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

That's wonderful! I'm also glad they decided it was an accident and didn't have to contact CPS. Get some rest.

Anonymous said...

YAY! So glad you can go home.