Friday, June 6, 2008

DIY Disease

I have a disease, but because it's relatively painless and rarely life threatening, there is not much research being done to find a cure. What is known, however, is that it is often hereditary, as is the case with me. My mom and my aunts suffer from it too. You see, I'm the kind of person that loves going to craft fairs and expos, but I come out empty handed with a to-do list that could easily take a lifetime to complete. I see tons of super cute ideas that I would love to see in my own home, but not being able to justify paying out the nose for something that I could do myself. So then I set out to recreate it the best I can. Now I know some of you have the false impression that I'm a pretty crafty person, but the truth of the matter is that I'm not really that great at figuring things out on my own unless I have a sample that I can take apart and examine, or have someone there to direct me. Another problem I have with this disease is that 90% of what I set out to do, I never finish. But alas, the purpose of this post: I have finished not one, but TWO, projects! The first I saw on the internet. This guy takes old beat up dressers and refinishes them for kids rooms. Well, I thought they looked like fun, so I set out looking for wrapping paper to decopodge on Breah's old dresser. I finally found some that matched her room perfectly, painted the old dresser, and whala! I must admit, I'm pretty pleased with the result. Then, at the What Women Want Expo last month, I saw these cute "Taggies" and knew that Breah needed one. Tags are just about her favorite thing, but once again, I wasn't going to pay $45 dollars for a little blanket! So I began the hunt for cute minky fabric and ribbons to match and I discovered that maybe $45 wasn't so steep after all! The brown and pink polka dot fabric I fell in love with was $19 a yard! But I found some bargain ribbons at Hobby Lobby (my new favorite store--too bad there's not one down here!) and eventually found some super soft clearance fabrics at Joanns and the other day after Breah went to bed I pinned all the ribbons in place, the next day while cooking dinner I sewed it up, and now that's one less thing on my to-do list! It's far from perfect, but at least it's done! I've decided I need to stop being so obsessive compulsive about things and just get it done, so I'm going to try and look past the not so straigh seems adn uneven ribbons and let Breah enjoy it while she's still interested in it!

9 comments:

Emilee said...

You did this after having surgery?! Great job with the dresser, and I love those blankets--Breah is so lucky to have a great mom--YOU!

G&G Martin said...

Cute, Cute, I think you are very talented. I agree thayt was quite an accomplishment so soon after having surgery. I hear you can breath now. GREAT!
Also, Congratualations to Brandon.

Russ and Megan said...

I am totally impressed! These two things are both so cute! I have seen that dresser idea before and think its darling, but have been a little too scared try. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Ashley and Brett said...

Shay, you always amaze me, just when I think your projects can't get any better, they always do! Good thing we don't live closer... I'm afraid of what projects you would get me into! I would do them with you too! How are you feeling now, breathing?

And, congrats to Brandon! We are so thrilled for you!

.........Still ME! said...

Oh my goodness!! They are all that I pictured and more, so cute! (p.s. I think you left a bunch of ribbon at my house) Oh, and kudos to being able to whip up a blanket at the same time you were cooking dinner, you are amazing!!!!

Mike Alexis & Grayson said...

Those are the cutest ideas! I love it! You did an awesome job! i need to be better about trying things. I always think mine will never look as good, so I don't try.

Anonymous said...

The dresser turned out way cute!! I'm glad you are feelin' better. Let's scrapbook again soon, only without babies! :)

Kelly A. said...

How talented are you! Keep sharing those cute ideas! I got a taggie from a girl in my ward at a a baby shower, but I don't think I'd even thought about making one myself. I am jealous of your crafty skills! And yes-you ARE crafty!! Hope you are feeling back to 100% after that surgery!!

Harvey Family said...

Shaylah! Somehow I found your blog and you and your family are just so cute I had to comment! What a sweet little family you have and you look so happy! You are SO talented too!!! We have a blog if you are interested...email me at melharvey1@hotmail.com if you want to see it. Take care!!!
Melia (DeCamp) Harvey