Monday, June 23, 2008

Help Wanted

As many of you may know, my sweet Breah and I are very attached. While I love every minute of our time together, our time apart is not nearly so tramatic for me as it is for her. However, we are coming to a point that we (as in Brandon and I) are realizing how nice it would be if we could have an hour or two to ourselves to perhaps get something done at the house, or go see a movie (in a month or two). I've always loved babies, and it used to make me sad when they wouldn't come to me, and I swore my kids wouldn't be like that. I suppose that was my first mistake--never say never. But lets face it, my kid IS like that. I'm glad she likes me so much and all, but I don't want her to miss out on all the fun that everyone else could offer her if only she would let them! So this is my cry for help...does anyone have any advice on overcoming severe stranger danger/separation anxiety in an 8 month old? We kind of need a crash course on this so your prompt responses would be much appreciated!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can give you some ideas, but who knows if they'll work. Because I've had to work, Daphne's been pretty alright with other people. No matter what, every once in a while they'll just want Mommy- especially in large groups.

You may consider having someone over to play with Mommy and Breah to slowly get her used to the idea.

Conversely, one time we watched Braden Bond for Lauren and James and she just plopped him down and ran out the door. He freaked out for maybe 5 minutes MAX and I just held him while he cried. I then got him interested in other things. However, when I went to the bathroom he sat outside the door and cried until I came out. Trevor tried to help but when Braden didn't stop crying when Trevor picked him up he set him back down immediately.

I found some ideas on Babycenter as well:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_separation-anxiety_145.bc?page=1&articleId=145

Ashley and Brett said...

Well I have no great advice, but if you would like to try a cold turkey run on leaving her with family so you and Bran can spend some time together, I would be glad to be that person! Good luck shay!

Paul or Lindsay said...

Sabrina still is a little weary of strangers and she's 2. So my advice may not be the best, but we've found that just leaving them with someone you totally trust whom they kind of know (AKA family) works best. That way if they cry and cry, your family still loves them!!! She'll get better. They all do.

Rusty and Tara said...

I'm sad to say I think time is the only answer. Josh was the exact same way. He'd cry everytime I left the room--even just to grab my shoes or something. And he'd cry everytime I left him at the gym when I had to teach. But I just kept at it and now he is usually just fine, or only cries a few min. I hate to disappoint, but this went on for about 5 months. So, I TOTALLY feel your pain.

AND YEAAAAA FOR NANCY AND LAMONT!! I can't believe it's been three years.