Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Big V

(Kyndi and Cielo, Me, Graci, and Breah watching the parade from Cobble Rock Park)

I love it whenever I get the chance to go back to old stomping grounds of Vernal, even though it's hardly the Vernal I remember. The growth out there the last couple of years is just insane. Everywhere there used to be fields of alfalfa or horses and cows has now been turned into housing developments, even in little ol' Naples. I suppose growth and change is good but it's just weird, and sad to see it all go like that. Anywho...here's a rundown of some of the fun things we did while we were there:

1) Get to know Breah's aunts Kyndi and Brinlee, her uncles Trevor and Jace, her Grandma Nellie, her cousins Graci & Cielo, and her great G&G Martin and great G&G Kay. It was hard at first, but the more time we spent with people the more Breah would accept them--especially her uncles. And actually she never had a problem with the babies, except when Cielo would get stuck in a hug. I'm still kicking myself for not getting pictures cuz it was so dang cute! It's rough when we go so long in between visits...hopefully Breah's memory will start to get a little longer and it won't take a full week to warm up to everyone! Breah and her uncles Trevor and Jace in their new tie dyed shirts

2) 4-H Family Fun Day. And boy was it fun! We got to see some old friends, meet some new ones, and as with any 4-H activity--make some cute crafts! We actually sat most of them out--Breah's still a little young to dip candles and mold clay, but one day... We did however join in on the tie dying

3) Pioneer Day. Started bright and early at the Scout breakfast. The food was great and I ran into lots of friends there--so that was fun. Then we headed to the parade with all the fam. Breah enjoyed exploring everything within her reach but didn't much care for the parade--maybe two in one week is too much? Here she is in her new shirt picking up rocks off the sidewalk, then a picture oh how she crawls on cement, and sometimes tile, and finally a picture of Brinlee on the 4-H floatThen we had a BBQ at my mom's. I would have to say Breah's favorite part of the whole day was eating my ABC corn cobs, she just couldn't get enough--but once again I'm too slow with the camera:
4) Breah's first trip to the cabin...but it's going to have it's very own post later

5) Picnic at Remember the Maine--one of my favorite places growing up. My Great Grandpa Openshaw painted the first flag on the rock many years ago, but the real reason I love it so much is probably the sound of water rushing in the background and the lush green trees all around. It was fun to go back--it's one thing that hasn't changed a bit!

6)Free school lunches at Central Elementary. There was a time I was embarassed to go but it's kind of a family tradition. It was fun to all "go out" to eat and only spend $2.75.

7) Played in the pool at the new Recreation center. Way more fun then your average pool, and Breah loved it. She was so cute hanging out in her little life jacket. She loved to splash and didn't even complain when we accidently parked right underneath the dumping buckets! I did almost get turned in for child abandonment when I left her with Grandma so I could change. You should have seen her, you would have thought she'd been kidnapped, but I was really only 2 feet away!

8)Stayed up late and visit with my mom. I love my Mom and wish we could be closer, but I am very thankful that my husband has a great job and that we are as close as we are! We watched movies, talked, scrapbooked Breah's wish quilt wishes, made sample reunion crafts...all kinds of fun things. I'm usually a good sharer but I LOVED having my mommy all to myself for those couple hours every night! Thanks Mom for a great week!

1 comment:

LauraMichele said...

Hi Shaylah This is LauraMichele (from PICCOLO) :) Hey sorry to post on your blog but I have an option for you if you are interested in earning some money this weekend by doing a booth at the sanpete county fair. If you could call me ASAP (Since the fair starts tommorow :)) I can give you more details and see if you are interested or know someone who would be Thanks LM
435-760-8034