Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mormon Crickets vs Cockroaches

I'm pretty sure this picture was taken on Diamond Mtn summer of 2005, when you couldn't step out of the car without crushing 20 with each foot, and you didn't dare wear shorts because you didn't want to feel them jumping on your legs, but if you wore jeans then they continue to climb up you rather than bouncing off. The same summer that the roads were paved in red and brown and your stomach churned as you heard the constant crushing and cracking under your wheels. It really is incredible[y disgusting]. If you haven't witnessed this phenomenon, consider yourself blessed.

I used to think there was nothing worse than this: Mormon Crickets (and mice, of course, but that's a whole different story) but in the past year I've encountered their match--COCKROACHES. I hate them. They are gross, disgusting, ugly, and just plain vile creatures that think they can invade my home on a daily basis. The outside of our house is sprayed about every 2 months and we spray the inside a minimum of every two weeks. I can't get rid of them. I'm constantly finding them dead all throughout the house. At least the live ones are rare. But apparently if you don't use the water for a few days they start to come in through the drains. My first shower after returning last weekend was interrupted by a giant cockroach crawling out of the drain and over my foot. I screamed and jumped onto the ledge as far from it as I could while my handsome hubby came to the rescue by stepping on it with it his bare feet! Gross, but heroic. What a brave man I married! I guess I should just be glad it happened to me (and on a Saturday or I may have been stuck on that ledge til lunch) and not one of our house guests, or we might get kinda lonely down here when everyone starts refusing to visit us and our little monsters. So which is worse? Well, I'm gonna say the roaches have it. Yes, those darn mormon crickets are bad, but I only have to deal with them once a twice a year, and even then it's only for a couple years before they disappear for a few more. And it's true that they come in larger quantities, and are quite a bit larger themselves, but again, it's only once a year. I see cockroaches almost daily and I don't like thinking about how many germs they are spreading throughout my house. What if someday I have a curious little kiddo that thinks they are candy? Ew. I have to stop, I'm making myself ill with such talk. I love Saint George and every thing about it. Everything, that is, except cockroaches. I can handle the heat, and though it may be tough, I think I can get used to the incredibly short

Those red ones above, that's what we deal with day to day. If I ever see one this big, I'm moving--hopefully though, they only exist in the east.

11 comments:

Dustin & Angie Drake said...

I loathe cockroaches! I make Dustin spray the house if I ever see one. It's a good thing that the ones you find are dead; at least you're doing something right! (Welcome to St. George summers!)

Alecia said...

Ok, I just vomited in my mouth a little. I reeeeeally hate cockroaches. And ya know what - that's actually one of the reasons, if not the most important reason why I stay out of the kitchen. That's where i see them most. I get so scared of them. eeeeewwww! To think that they are crawling all over our stuff! Fortunately I haven't seen one for awhile, but maybe that's because I stay outta the kitchen. SAME HERE- I love everything else about st.george, and it's sad, but because of the one thing, I am considering not having a permanent residence here. YUCK!

Alecia said...

p.s. I like reading your posts. Your style of writing makes it entertaining and interesting!

Ashley and Brett said...

Oh it was fun spending time with you and when we heard you scream we knew exactly what happened, I'm glad it wasn't me!!! :) Hope you see less!

Brent & Donna said...

K the roaches remind me of SVU... living above the cafateria, i had to save jess and stacey a few times from the giant roaches in our room. Also had a problem in my parents house in Cali, they live behind fast food restaurants. They set up little roach motel things. Never had them crawl out of the drains though that would gross me out way too much. O the ones we had there were flying ones too. bleh...

gamma said...

I agree, the writing you do on your posts,make even roaches sound interesting, although I agree I would be grossed out bad, at least the crickets didn't come in the cabin (I think not) but the crunch under your feet was pretty wierd. love ya

Kirk and Dynelle said...

I just got home from Vernal and now I'm scared to death to get in the shower! Thanks for the warning though.

Chiemi said...

Ugh I totally shuddered while reading your post. Dustin thought he saw one a couple of months ago so I cleaned the house top to bottom and sprayed. I haven't seen on yet, but it freaks me out so bad.

Kays said...

changed our minds, can't come babysit while there's bugs!

just kidden, we still love the cabin and those things are 10 times bigger than your little roaches

Danielle Merket said...

That is a hard call, they are both so nasty... In samoa the cockroaches were so big that when you would step on them to squish them you would slip on their innards! Gross.

Pickle said...

Thank you for this, made me laugh and also made me want to gag. I hate them too! I never even knew they were in Utah until I moved down here, just some gross bug you heard about in Mexico! I was so naive! Anyway I love the shower story, yuck!