Breah and I are having an ongoing battle over naps. Every day is a fight, but I refuse to give in. It only took her a matter of days to figure out how to open the door and that was the end of my afternoon peace. Now I put her down for a nap and sit outside her door so I can repeatedly walk her back to bed. She used to cry, now it's a game. One day I kept threatening her if she got out of her bed again I'd stick her back in baby brother's crib. I finally thought I'd better follow through, so when she got out of bed again, I had to put the mattress back in the crib and listen to 1/2 hour of "I do, I do. I do sweep in my new one bed" before she finally crashed. I feel like I'm abusing my child but she needs that nap (even more than I do). She was an angel that night though, jumped right in bed and never made a peep. The next morning she woke up singing and I couldn't wait to get in there and hug her to pieces. I told her I was so proud of her for sleeping in her big girl bed and she said to me, "I told you Mom, I not open a goor!" (I don't know why, but some of her d's are g's and her g's are d's, for ex: door is goor, grandma is damma, and' fr' is 'kr'--we're working on it!). Sometimes after 1 1/2 hours I will give up. But if she doesn't take a nap she knows there are consequences. After a nap she gets to watch a movie while I get dinner going (and it's always either Monsters or Nemo) and have a snack. If she doesn't take a nap she gets no tv or snack, and I make her entertain herself for an hour so I can get the things done that I need to. Usually after our 1 1/2 hour fight she's just so happy to be free that she's overly cute and helpful and it's hard to be mad at her for another second. This picture was taken one of the first days she won. I was trying to mop the kitchen floor and I guess she thought it looked like fun. She soon had her own sponge and we had that floor clean in no time! It wouldn't be such a big deal for her to give up her nap but if she doesn't take one she's a bear by 5 and falls asleep the minute we sit down to dinner or get in the car. If she goes more than one day without a nap she's so overly tired that she wakes up crying and there's nothing you can do to calm her down without waking her up completely. So, though you may think I'm cruel, I will continue to fight as long as I can. And for the record, nap rides don't work. But, we did break down and buy another mattress so that when I threaten to put her back in the crib it's not such a chore!
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Oh how I miss you nap!
Breah and I are having an ongoing battle over naps. Every day is a fight, but I refuse to give in. It only took her a matter of days to figure out how to open the door and that was the end of my afternoon peace. Now I put her down for a nap and sit outside her door so I can repeatedly walk her back to bed. She used to cry, now it's a game. One day I kept threatening her if she got out of her bed again I'd stick her back in baby brother's crib. I finally thought I'd better follow through, so when she got out of bed again, I had to put the mattress back in the crib and listen to 1/2 hour of "I do, I do. I do sweep in my new one bed" before she finally crashed. I feel like I'm abusing my child but she needs that nap (even more than I do). She was an angel that night though, jumped right in bed and never made a peep. The next morning she woke up singing and I couldn't wait to get in there and hug her to pieces. I told her I was so proud of her for sleeping in her big girl bed and she said to me, "I told you Mom, I not open a goor!" (I don't know why, but some of her d's are g's and her g's are d's, for ex: door is goor, grandma is damma, and' fr' is 'kr'--we're working on it!). Sometimes after 1 1/2 hours I will give up. But if she doesn't take a nap she knows there are consequences. After a nap she gets to watch a movie while I get dinner going (and it's always either Monsters or Nemo) and have a snack. If she doesn't take a nap she gets no tv or snack, and I make her entertain herself for an hour so I can get the things done that I need to. Usually after our 1 1/2 hour fight she's just so happy to be free that she's overly cute and helpful and it's hard to be mad at her for another second. This picture was taken one of the first days she won. I was trying to mop the kitchen floor and I guess she thought it looked like fun. She soon had her own sponge and we had that floor clean in no time! It wouldn't be such a big deal for her to give up her nap but if she doesn't take one she's a bear by 5 and falls asleep the minute we sit down to dinner or get in the car. If she goes more than one day without a nap she's so overly tired that she wakes up crying and there's nothing you can do to calm her down without waking her up completely. So, though you may think I'm cruel, I will continue to fight as long as I can. And for the record, nap rides don't work. But, we did break down and buy another mattress so that when I threaten to put her back in the crib it's not such a chore!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
i had this same horrific battle with Kaden... we got one of those child proof door knob things and put it on the inside of his door... after a while he figured that out and so we went to the child gate. Its a rough stage but hold out! Its worth it in the end. Eventually he started going down without a fight...
isn't life just backwards, when they are young we have to beg them to take a nap and when we get older we have to work not to nap, got to love her though, you are a very special Mom, just hang in there, it gets easier.
Way to be strong! And can I just say I am amazed at the house you made. When I first saw the pictures I thought you bought it from the store, that's how good you are.
Yes, giving up the nap is part of being two. Maybe I was too tired from being up with an infant all night; maybe I wanted to work hard on the potty, or maybe I'm just a pushover, but at 2 1/2 Sabrina stopped napping altogether. It was a sad day, but now I'm almost ready for Lucy to quit too so that we can go places whenever we want. Way to go on putting up a good fight though! I know how much I used to love a silent house!
Too funny! you got to admire her determination.
stay strong, she can't be any more stubborn than her mom.
love ya
That is hard, but you are so good about sticking through it. I still dont have the motivation or heart to get that dang bottle away from Grace, Sigh. I never saw the finished house you made for Breah, it is so great! That is so fun. Does Grace ever go explore it? That is a good idea for next Christmas or birthday for Grace. Anyway, Breah is so funny, I love that "Ill sweep in my own bed!" so cute!
Garret and I fought about his naps for quite awhile, however he is still in a crib, and hasn't figured out how to get out w/out hurting himself. I would just leave him in there and if he didn't fall asleep w/in a 1/2 hr I would get him out. We finally stopped doing that when he turned 3 because I would be taking him out all but 1 day a week or so. I really miss the quiet time and time to do stuff w/out being bugged, but oh well. He goes to bed at 9 and wakes up around 8-9. Anyway, good luck!
Fight to the death. Because when the nap stops they get so onrey around 5, usually fall asleep, and then they won't go to bed at night. It's super fun.
Post a Comment